View Poll Results: Should NASCAR Use 2+ tire compounds for the 2018 season?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 2+ tire compounds for 2018!

23 79.31%
  • No, Stay with one compound.

6 20.69%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should NASCAR use 2+ tire compounds?

It is like what I think Kurt Busch(?) said. Everyone is gonna figure out which tires are better and run them, then run the other tires if they have to. Look at the IndyCar black/red tires.

Quote Originally Posted by kbowwow75 View Post
    It would be interesting to see how car setup would be different on ovals with 2 compounds and how adjustments are made in practice using the different compounds. Do you set your car up for speed on the softer compound, or the long runs on the harder tires? Does having a good setup on the harder tire correlate to a great car on the softer tires? It's all things to consider. I would be all for unlimited usage of any combinations of tires throughout the race with the only rule being that both compounds must be used in the race and there has to be a minimum number of laps run on each compound. Like 5 or 10 lap minimum per compound. It would make the trendy periods of cautions breeding cautions, or short tracks to have softer tires as the favored tire for the crew chiefs because of the anticipated frequent pit stops. Tracks that eat tires or tracks with long periods of historic green flags would favor the crew chiefs using the harder tires. It also brings a strategy at the end of segments because if a caution comes out with 10 to go in a segment and everyone pits for the softer tires, that makes for better racing.
    I completely agree with you. NASCAR is always looking for a way to better the racing... Here is a perfect opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomConfetti View Post
    It is like what I think Kurt Busch(?) said. Everyone is gonna figure out which tires are better and run them, then run the other tires if they have to. Look at the IndyCar black/red tires.
    That is what I like about IndyCar Racing. It is always interesting to see who uses what compound and when. It also betters the racing because of the difference between the two compounds. I think NASCAR could really benefit from something like this. It will also be interesting to see who uses the soft compound and how all of the other drivers will have to adapt.