Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the Nascar Fans going?

RCCA Member

Where are the Nascar Fans going?

Since TV ratings and racetrack attendance seems to be significantly down across the board, and has been for some time, just wondering where all the fans are going? Late model? Sprint Cars? 24 Hours of LeMons? I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they're all just abandoning racing entirely.

It is the same for all sports, some more than others. I use to go to 10 Monster Energy races a year, plus the Xfinity races. Now I go to 3 or 4 a year. It is to easy to watch from your couch at home. All sports, NASCAR more than others, it seems, is being effected.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxley View Post
    Since TV ratings and racetrack attendance seems to be significantly down across the board, and has been for some time, just wondering where all the fans are going? Late model? Sprint Cars? 24 Hours of LeMons? I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they're all just abandoning racing entirely.
    That's a very good question. I've been wondering that for years. I don't think Nascar will ever be the same as it was, but if it can adapt, there is a small fan base out there for them.

Wait untill after this year, when Dale Jr.'s fan base disappears along with him. lol.

thank big flat screen tv's and single file racing
    God and Guns

I don't have anything to substantiate this but imo the issue is that most fans are 40+ and they've annoyed a lot of that demographic with all of the changes they've implemented..and just like diecastdan said it's much easier to watch from the couch..we really need for someone or something to grab the younger people's attention beyond just having a young driver that's popular with NASCAR's current base..

Here's a question for someone with knowledge about viewership calculations..how are the numbers affected by people that dvr or flip back and forth from nfl to the race?

RCCA Member
    I appreciate all the responses, but my thoughts were less about diagnosing Nascar, and more along the lines of where are people going to see more compelling races? Not that I would abandon Nascar. Since all Major League Sports seem to be experiencing similar issues, that would seem to indicate they aren't going to other sports, what form(s) of entertainment are they going to? Unless, as Soon2b8x implied, the ratings aren't entirely accurate.

People that I know... cottages .. short tracks.. families are growing which now include grandchildren .. their drivers are slowly retiring and their priorities are changing which equals less NASCAR viewing and race attending

Quote Originally Posted by KC81 View Post
    People that I know... cottages .. short tracks.. families are growing which now include grandchildren .. their drivers are slowly retiring and their priorities are changing which equals less NASCAR viewing and race attending
    that's kind of what I was attempting to imply about 40+..you made it much more clear..thank you

RCCA Member
    I don't know, seems like people have time for shows like Game of Thrones/The Walking Dead and endless amounts of time to waste on Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat/Periscope/Instagram/etc.