Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should NASCAR use 2+ tire compounds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    How and when is the question... but I vote, Yes.

    If only 1 set, everyone will save it for the last caution. Make a rule as to when it can be used, available only at the start of the 2nd or 3rd stage. But if you win stage 1 or 2, you can choose to wait and use the set when you want, late caution if there is one. Kinda like use it or loose it etc.
    "Bent fenders, hurt feelings... I love It." - Kevin Harvick

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by BoomConfetti View Post
      Not necessarily. Have to manage tires with how many you have like they have in the Xfinity/Trucks. They don't need to be running out every 10 laps, they just shouldn't be the Fred Flintstone rocks that they take to places like Indy.
      True. It can be done it just has to be done right. But I would only expect 20-25 laps out of these soft compound tires.
      Please Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/KEMMOCupSeries and Subscribe to me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaV...M3B1eNVhTkeMgw

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Lastlap View Post
        How and when is the question... but I vote, Yes.

        If only 1 set, everyone will save it for the last caution. Make a rule as to when it can be used, available at the start of the 2nd or 3rd segment. But if you win a segment, you can choose to wait and use the set when you want, late caution if there is one. Kinda like use it or loose it etc.
        It would work but under one condition. Right now for the all star race there is a rule that says if you put the soft compound tires on you start at the back. If NASCAR would get rid of that I could see your idea working.
        Please Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/KEMMOCupSeries and Subscribe to me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaV...M3B1eNVhTkeMgw

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by KEMMO Cup Series View Post
          It would work but under one condition. Right now for the all star race there is a rule that says if you put the soft compound tires on you start at the back. If NASCAR would get rid of that I could see your idea working.
          That's due to the smaller field in the All-Star race. They wouldn't be able to continue with something that in a regular race with a full field. Would all but defeat the purpose. How many cars are a lap down plus length of race track would come into play but still think it would all but erase their advantage.

          Comment


          • #20
            It would be interesting to see how car setup would be different on ovals with 2 compounds and how adjustments are made in practice using the different compounds. Do you set your car up for speed on the softer compound, or the long runs on the harder tires? Does having a good setup on the harder tire correlate to a great car on the softer tires? It's all things to consider. I would be all for unlimited usage of any combinations of tires throughout the race with the only rule being that both compounds must be used in the race and there has to be a minimum number of laps run on each compound. Like 5 or 10 lap minimum per compound. It would make the trendy periods of cautions breeding cautions, or short tracks to have softer tires as the favored tire for the crew chiefs because of the anticipated frequent pit stops. Tracks that eat tires or tracks with long periods of historic green flags would favor the crew chiefs using the harder tires. It also brings a strategy at the end of segments because if a caution comes out with 10 to go in a segment and everyone pits for the softer tires, that makes for better racing.

            Comment


            • #21
              It is like what I think Kurt Busch(?) said. Everyone is gonna figure out which tires are better and run them, then run the other tires if they have to. Look at the IndyCar black/red tires.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by kbowwow75 View Post
                It would be interesting to see how car setup would be different on ovals with 2 compounds and how adjustments are made in practice using the different compounds. Do you set your car up for speed on the softer compound, or the long runs on the harder tires? Does having a good setup on the harder tire correlate to a great car on the softer tires? It's all things to consider. I would be all for unlimited usage of any combinations of tires throughout the race with the only rule being that both compounds must be used in the race and there has to be a minimum number of laps run on each compound. Like 5 or 10 lap minimum per compound. It would make the trendy periods of cautions breeding cautions, or short tracks to have softer tires as the favored tire for the crew chiefs because of the anticipated frequent pit stops. Tracks that eat tires or tracks with long periods of historic green flags would favor the crew chiefs using the harder tires. It also brings a strategy at the end of segments because if a caution comes out with 10 to go in a segment and everyone pits for the softer tires, that makes for better racing.
                I completely agree with you. NASCAR is always looking for a way to better the racing... Here is a perfect opportunity.
                Please Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/KEMMOCupSeries and Subscribe to me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaV...M3B1eNVhTkeMgw

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BoomConfetti View Post
                  It is like what I think Kurt Busch(?) said. Everyone is gonna figure out which tires are better and run them, then run the other tires if they have to. Look at the IndyCar black/red tires.
                  That is what I like about IndyCar Racing. It is always interesting to see who uses what compound and when. It also betters the racing because of the difference between the two compounds. I think NASCAR could really benefit from something like this. It will also be interesting to see who uses the soft compound and how all of the other drivers will have to adapt.
                  Please Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/KEMMOCupSeries and Subscribe to me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaV...M3B1eNVhTkeMgw

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X