Autographs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeF View Post

It has to be true that the company selling the autographed product is marking up the autograph. However, I disagree with the idea that it's not the drivers. The difference between them signing at the track and signing for Lionel/Plan B/Fanatics/at a trailer/at a sponsor's meet & greet is the time. Ain't no thing to stop and sign for you. But it's a longer, scheduled block of time for an appearance. Those they get paid for. Remember Larson talking about how it's not worth it to him to appear at the haulers because Fanatics can't pay him enough for his time?
    Oh wow.... Ole Larson getting famous now,lol! That's sad.
    20170902_143041 by Michael Ellison, on Flickr

Comment

I think Nascar should mandate as part of the charter that every chartered driver has to participate in a certain number of appearances in the fan zone during the year. Maybe 3 or 4 per driver, that'd be enough to have 2 or 3 drivers do appearances per race weekend. Give out 100 wristbands per driver or whatever, at max it'd a handful of hours for their time per year, and would be a good things for fans to connect, especially the ones that would like to have a signed piece but can't swing 169.99 or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by kwobubba View Post
        I think Nascar should mandate as part of the charter that every chartered driver has to participate in a certain number of appearances in the fan zone during the year. Maybe 3 or 4 per driver, that'd be enough to have 2 or 3 drivers do appearances per race weekend. Give out 100 wristbands per driver or whatever, at max it'd a handful of hours for their time per year, and would be a good things for fans to connect, especially the ones that would like to have a signed piece but can't swing 169.99 or whatever.
        Well said , the truck drivers sign every year at Daytona when I have gone , i like That

Comment

Case in point, The Jeff Gordon store is still charging $224.00 for an autographed elite, with the $20.00 elite downgrade. I highly doubt the extra amount is because he's charging more for his autograph.
          Last edited by Accolade Racing; February 27th, 2018, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ghosthonor View Post

Oh wow.... Ole Larson getting famous now,lol! That's sad.
            Not if Larson feels that way, but if he is that stupid to say that, no more cars of Larson.

Comment

This is funny cause you can buy a pit pass at a track for like $50 or something and get one signed LOL

2017 CHAMPION MARTIN TRUEX JR, DILLY DILLY!

Comment

Originally posted by diecastdan17 View Post

Not if Larson feels that way, but if he is that stupid to say that, no more cars of Larson.
                Maybe this is linked to some other kind of issue he is having with Fanatics? I know I take issue with the way Fanatics does things at times. I think we are on the same page with Larson though. I want to believe he is the cool dude I have enjoyed watching grow up in our sport.

Comment

Originally posted by truexfan78 View Post
                  This is funny cause you can buy a pit pass at a track for like $50 or something and get one signed LOL
                  Or just watch the sponsor display scheduled appearances and post up accordingly. Almost always had luck getting a few. Just find the most probable area the golf carts will pull up. They usually have their "handler" with them at these and they usually carry a stack of hero cards along with them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Teach View Post

Maybe this is linked to some other kind of issue he is having with Fanatics? I know I take issue with the way Fanatics does things at times. I think we are on the same page with Larson though. I want to believe he is the cool dude I have enjoyed watching grow up in our sport.
                    I vote for the issue with Fanatics as I think most of us can relate to that. From what I've seen at the forms of racing he attends he definitely doesn't mind being with the "people"

Remember that experience our New Zealand friend had with him. I think that's the real Larson. Just think he prefers it in his "office" and not in theirs

Comment

Originally posted by truexfan78 View Post
                      That's an option but not something the casual fan is likely to do.

Comment

Originally posted by FreakyFast4ord View Post

I vote for the issue with Fanatics as I think most of us can relate to that. From what I've seen at the forms of racing he attends he definitely doesn't mind being with the "people"

Remember that experience our New Zealand friend had with him. I think that's the real Larson. Just think he prefers it in his "office" and not in theirs
                        I had forgotten about that, yeah, Larson is still one of the good guys

Comment

Originally posted by kwobubba View Post
                          Yes.. IndyCar has mandatory driver autograph sessions at every track

Next up, WGI!

Comment

Originally posted by FreakyFast4ord View Post

The whole issue was when it was brought up when he came to PA Speedweek in the Sprint Car last year, that he sold $13,000 in shirts in 2 days, and was sold out by the 3rd night he was racing(this was at Lincoln, I was there, they only had Larges and 3X left, and sold out before heats started). When this was brought up, he tweeted out that it was more than he had made in NASCAR merchandise at that point in the year(keep in mind, this was in July, halfway through the season). The contract with Fanatics is basically that until it all boils down, NASCAR, Fanatics, and the tracks take most of the profit from the merch sold, and the teams get 3% and drivers get 3%. That's where his comment about signing in the hauler and only making $50 for that hour came from, and there were plenty of other drivers that backed him up on that at the time. This is part of why he worked with R&R Racewear, who does his sprint car merch to form Direct Driver apparel to offer NASCAR Merch for him as well. Still can't believe that NASCAR has licensed that stuff, but guess that the Fanatics deal isn't necessarily exclusive.

I saw him at Lincoln in the pits constantly hanging out with people and signing autographs, and he stayed at least a half hour to an hour every night of PA Speedweek after the hauler left signing and talking to people. Both times I've met him, he's signed stuff for me and talked with me(even took a picture last time when he was on his way out the door headed for Volusia, easily could have kept walking or told me he didn't have the time) without a problem. He is definitely still one of the good guys, just got a bad wrap after all of that stuff came about last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by KLfan4213 View Post

The whole issue was when it was brought up when he came to PA Speedweek in the Sprint Car last year, that he sold $13,000 in shirts in 2 days, and was sold out by the 3rd night he was racing(this was at Lincoln, I was there, they only had Larges and 3X left, and sold out before heats started). When this was brought up, he tweeted out that it was more than he had made in NASCAR merchandise at that point in the year(keep in mind, this was in July, halfway through the season). The contract with Fanatics is basically that until it all boils down, NASCAR, Fanatics, and the tracks take most of the profit from the merch sold, and the teams get 3% and drivers get 3%. That's where his comment about signing in the hauler and only making $50 for that hour came from, and there were plenty of other drivers that backed him up on that at the time. This is part of why he worked with R&R Racewear, who does his sprint car merch to form Direct Driver apparel to offer NASCAR Merch for him as well. Still can't believe that NASCAR has licensed that stuff, but guess that the Fanatics deal isn't necessarily exclusive.

I saw him at Lincoln in the pits constantly hanging out with people and signing autographs, and he stayed at least a half hour to an hour every night of PA Speedweek after the hauler left signing and talking to people. Both times I've met him, he's signed stuff for me and talked with me(even took a picture last time when he was on his way out the door headed for Volusia, easily could have kept walking or told me he didn't have the time) without a problem. He is definitely still one of the good guys, just got a bad wrap after all of that stuff came about last summer.
                              Thank you Alan! This is exactly the way I think of Kyle.

Comment

I wasn't trying to disparage Larson. I've run into him a couple times, and he was cool and signed some stuff for me. A lot of drivers I've run into have been like that. I'm just saying things become different when it's a business situation. Autographs for people who ask is something most drivers are cool with. They either like interacting with the fans, or they know it's a good thing for them to know a fan walked away happy, with a positive impression of you, even if you're not the most outgoing of people.

It's when it becomes a business proposition that it becomes different. Money is exchanging hands as a result of the autograph session, so they want their piece of the action. Probably the price is set by their business manager in negotiation with the one who wants the autograph session or signed product and when.

Comment

Working...
                                X