No announcement yet.

Buying diecasts without boxs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually don't. I've bought one that just had the styrofoam and it was the Terry labonte iron man elite. It was in perfect condition. So it didn't bother me

Comment

I have never bought any die-cast without a box and if I buy on ebay I ask if the box is mint before I buy it because I know I will most likely not be able to sell it down the road if for what ever reason I wanted to. I can see maybe buying some cars without the box if you just wanted to use them to display but the prob for me with that is I do not have a lot of room and I switch out cars in my display so those extra cars I would prob sell them on ebay just to make room and without a box they would not sell. Unfortunately most 1/24 scale diecast cars sell for around $20 shipped and shipping is what $11 so you can figure without a box those cars are not worth the shipping cost.
      #24EVER #HateThe18 #Hatetoyota #BiggumsIsDelusional

Comment

I have 1 without the box and all I do is spend time looking for another one at the right price to replace this one LOL It's a Dillon Eldora truck; got it for half the going price without the box but if I find one cheap enough I will replace it.
        OU812DIDU

Comment

This is further complicated with older diecast that had sleeves. Those sleeves were a royal pain. A few of the older elites shipped without sleeves (and some of the earliest elites actually shipped in just the styrofoam) because RCCA ran out of boxes. One of the best moves ever was getting rid of those **** sleeves. Of course, I have seen a few arguments where someone has asked if you collect the boxes or the cars, but the truth is that the collectible is the combination of the two. I've even tried to obtain extra boxes for my prototypes at times....

Comment

Originally posted by inj9696 View Post
            I have 1 without the box and all I do is spend time looking for another one at the right price to replace this one LOL It's a Dillon Eldora truck; got it for half the going price without the box but if I find one cheap enough I will replace it.
            Funny you say this I forgot I bought a 2008 Kasey Kahne Budweiser ARC autographed in person no coa I bought it just to display and got it for what I thought was a great price $36 shipped but after I got it the box was pretty messed up and I have been looking for a replacement box ever since it drives me nuts when I think about it like right now lol

Comment

Originally posted by kspool View Post
              This is further complicated with older diecast that had sleeves. Those sleeves were a royal pain. A few of the older elites shipped without sleeves (and some of the earliest elites actually shipped in just the styrofoam) because RCCA ran out of boxes. One of the best moves ever was getting rid of those **** sleeves. Of course, I have seen a few arguments where someone has asked if you collect the boxes or the cars, but the truth is that the collectible is the combination of the two. I've even tried to obtain extra boxes for my prototypes at times....
              This is very true I have found myself buying a piece that I do not see often that mint not be mint just because the older it is the harder it might be to find mint. I have met collectors that only care about the box, or only care about the sleeve and some that are so anal both and they go through extremes to get both mint. I myself am most picky about the box if the car has minor flaws I can live with that I know these cars do not come perfect but if there are clearly visible flaws I will send it back but so far I have only had to send 4 or 5 back in over 20 years of collecting.

Comment

Originally posted by kspool View Post
                Yes I hated the sleeves. It was a headache looking through ebay just at the sleeves to make sure they weren't ripped. So glad we he went away from them.
                20170902_143041 by Michael Ellison, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jlogano22 View Post
                  Iíve only ever bought one, itís a terrible idea and a dangerous game, it kills the value and it annoys me when someone on eBay lists something I really want without a box, it just pisses me off that someone could be stupid enough to get rid of a box like that
                  I know you got banned from one forum because you're a troublemaker who can't keep his mouth shut, but why would you make such an ignorant statement?

I've got over 2500 1/24 cars. I got rid of thousands of boxes years ago because they took up far too much space, and I don't keep them for new cars I buy. I simply don't wish to take up valuable closet, basement, or garage space with empty cardboard boxes that I'll never use. I collect because I like the cars, not for any perceived or potential value.

What "pisses" me off is "stupid" people.

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperQA View Post

I know you got banned from one forum because you're a troublemaker who can't keep his mouth shut, but why would you make such an ignorant statement?

I've got over 2500 1/24 cars. I got rid of thousands of boxes years ago because they took up far too much space, and I don't keep them for new cars I buy. I simply don't wish to take up valuable closet, basement, or garage space with empty cardboard boxes that I'll never use. I collect because I like the cars, not for any perceived or potential value.

To be fair to Dan, he talking about resell value, just like the OP mentioned and others have throughout the thread.

Originally posted by aidan2613 View Post
                    Im of the same opinion I prefer to have the box so down the road if I wish to resell I can get a decent price back and not sell it for dirt cheap.
                    Your not going to sell your cars, so it doesn't matter if you have boxes. But the people who do sell any item, most people here want the box.
                    "Bent fenders, hurt feelings... I love It." - Kevin Harvick

Comment

Originally posted by Lastlap View Post

To be fair to Dan, he talking about resell value, just like the OP mentioned and others have throughout the thread.

Your not going to sell your cars, so it doesn't matter if you have boxes. But the people who do sell any item, most people here want the box.
                      He speaks before he finishes thinking then, just like he has done many times here and over at DCZ, where he's banned. As they say....."Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Comment

I like to display my cars on top of the box so I can see the year and production numbers. To each their own but I personally wouldn't buy one without the box.

Comment

I rare instances I will buy without a box.

I bought a Jeff Gordon Salutes car a while back with no box for a GREAT price. Its on display so I wasn't too concerned about the box.

I needed it to complete the set.

Its a cool car that's fairly hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperQA View Post

Itís hilarious how you keep getting triggered and take everything so personally, every comment has to be about you and your glory and you just have to add your two cents of rage in things not even about you.............99% of this forum knows the boxes are very important based on this thread alone, and the majority of them want the box when buying something......weíve already been over this stupid argument back months ago, why are you starting it again for no reason?

you can do whatever you want but I will always care about the box and will always be annoyed by anyone who gets rid of the box and then tryís to sell it.......if you are mr elite collecting master who will never sell anything then guess what? The comment or this thread has nothing to do with you if you want to do nothing but argue and cry and sling insults, you seem to only like to come out of the woodwork and post to start flamewars so it seems like you are the one who canít keep his mouth shut........
                            Last edited by Jlogano22; April 2nd, 2018, 04:27 PM.
                            Go Joey Logano!!! 5 2014 Wins, 10 2015 Wins, 6 2016 Wins, 3 2017 Wins
                            Next Preorder To Arrive: 2017 Joey Logano Shell-Pennzoil Richmond Win 1/24 Elite
                            Next Dealer Preorder To Arrive: 2017 Joey Logano Pennzoil 1/24 ARC

Comment

Originally posted by Lastlap View Post

it was pretty obvious what the comment meant, but much like last time reaper just comes out of nowhere and starts an argument because heís an outlier, he did this exact same thing last time there was a thread about keeping boxes, I guess everyone who knows the box is important for value is his enemy or at least thatís what comes across in his responses

Go Joey Logano!!! 5 2014 Wins, 10 2015 Wins, 6 2016 Wins, 3 2017 Wins
                              Next Preorder To Arrive: 2017 Joey Logano Shell-Pennzoil Richmond Win 1/24 Elite
                              Next Dealer Preorder To Arrive: 2017 Joey Logano Pennzoil 1/24 ARC

Comment

Originally posted by DonCarp View Post

Funny you say this I forgot I bought a 2008 Kasey Kahne Budweiser ARC autographed in person no coa I bought it just to display and got it for what I thought was a great price $36 shipped but after I got it the box was pretty messed up and I have been looking for a replacement box ever since it drives me nuts when I think about it like right now lol
                                I feel your pain brother!
                                OU812DIDU

Comment

Working...
                                X