Driver auto's on areas other than the windshield

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver auto's on areas other than the windshield

What year did driver's signing the windshield of a diecast become the thing to do? I see all of the older ones being signed on the hood or roof such as Dale Sr.

Interesting question.

I like the windshield auto. I don't own any Harvick autos on paint.
    "Bent fenders, hurt feelings... I love It." - Kevin Harvick

Comment

Ive often wondered this myself. Years ago, when Id hand a driver a car, theyd go for the hood or roof. Whoever had the idea to do the windshields is a genius. It displays so much better, I wish it had been thought of long ago.

Comment

When I met Robbie Gordon in '15, I asked him to sign the windshield which he kindly did.
        "Bent fenders, hurt feelings... I love It." - Kevin Harvick

Comment

I think it's personal preference. I know Bobby Allison prefers to sign the roof because it's easier for him.

I've got a Buddy Baker signed Grey Ghost that is signed on the rear decklid and the black Sharpie on grey looks great. When I got my Kodak #4 signed by Ernie Irvan at Darlington last year, he wanted to sign on the hood and I asked for the windshield and he signed on it for me.

Comment

John Force signs on the hood,
            God and Guns

Comment

I think it might had something to do with the bars on the windshield on the older cars. Dale Jr signed my AC delco on the hood because he told me the bars on the windshield prevented him from putting a good auto on there

https://lionelracingforum.com/forum/...444#post176444

Looking for any JJ TX Win items - Diecast (Din #1's, Protos, Samples, Door #'s), Any sheet metal from JJ TX wins, and any unique JJ TX win memorabilia (Champagne bottles, flags, victory lane hats, etc.). PM me if you have any of these items for sell or trade.

Comment

Originally posted by 197sm View Post
                I think it might had something to do with the bars on the windshield on the older cars. Dale Jr signed my AC delco on the hood because he told me the bars on the windshield prevented him from putting a good auto on there

Mark Martin said the same thing. He signed newer cars on the windshield.

Comment

I've had drivers sign on the hood up until 2005. I started doing the windshields starting with the COTs.
                  Just giving Jeff Gordon a ride for his parade lap.

Comment

Seems to me it was around mid 2000s, maybe a little earlier.
                    Looking for Chase Elliott door numbers and a Kyle Larson Clorox Color Chrome Autographed Elite

Comment

Thats cool that he took the time to give you a reason why he was putting the signature on the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by chris31 View Post

Thats cool that he took the time to give you a reason why he was putting the signature on the hood.
                        he did because he heard me gasp as soon as he started signing the hood - I personally don't care for on the paint autos and really wanted it on the windshield. After he heard the gasp is when he explained he could not sign on the windshield because of the bars.
                        Looking for any JJ TX Win items - Diecast (Din #1's, Protos, Samples, Door #'s), Any sheet metal from JJ TX wins, and any unique JJ TX win memorabilia (Champagne bottles, flags, victory lane hats, etc.). PM me if you have any of these items for sell or trade.

Comment

he did because he heard me gasp as soon as he started signing the hood - I personally don't care for on the paint autos and really wanted it on the windshield. After he heard the gasp is when he explained he could not sign on the windshield because of the bars.
                          This happened to me with a wrestling belt, I showed them where I wanted it signed and they signed elsewhere and with a different sharpie and proceeded to tell me why. Made a ton of sense after that. I guess after signing a million of something, the athletes that truly care take the time to give us the best auto they can.

The bars on the windshield thing is like a total slap to the face for me, all these years I never ever thought about that, seems so obvious now.

Comment

Working...
                          X